“Our only real complaint with the Digit is its price tag, which is obviously high in comparison to other vapes, both desktops and portables alike. But with its high price tag comes an incredibly high level of quality that you just can’t find anywhere else. This is quite literally the best desktop vaporizer on the market.”
SPEED REVIEW (SUMMARY)
The Digital Volcano is "the" vaporizer to have. If you're looking for the best of the best, look no further because this is it - the best desktop vaporizer that money can buy. Its digital temperature controls are big, bright, and easy to use. Its vapor production is top notch, absolutely incredible. On par if not better than the best of the best. It produces thick, full-bodied vapor that tastes absolutely delicious and it delivers it better than any vaporizer we've ever tested. By capturing the vapor it produces in a balloon, it allows you to casually take puffs or aggressively take huge rips - all at your leisure. Which it's able to do thanks to its innovative mouthpiece that doubles as a valve, allowing you to press it up against your mouth and inhale without any need to fiddle with opening and closing the valve as it simply opens when the mouthpiece is pressed against your lips and closes when you pull it away. So if you're looking for the best desktop vape that money can buy, this is it - the king of the plugins, the Digital Volcano Vaporizer.
*This is a quick summary, in-depth review below.
The Digit offers a wide range of vaporizing temperatures to choose from, which span from 104 degrees Fahrenheit all the way up to 446 degrees Fahrenheit. Its temperature control buttons and big and easy to use. Its display, which shows both the current temperature as well as the set temperature, makes it easy to see what temperature it’s vaping at and between the easy to read display and large temperature control buttons, it’s truly painless to operate. And it’s accurate within ±2.7°F (1.5°C ). Plus, it offers both Celsius and Fahrenheit modes. All in all, it’s one hell of a temperature control system that we find preferable to most others we’ve come across. It’s accurate, intuitive, and when it comes right down to it, really easy to use. We like it and we’ll sure you will too.
Heat Up Time
While it’s not the quickest to heat up, it’s by no means the slowest either as it takes approximately 4 minutes for its steel-clad ceramic heating element to heat up. Really though, depending on what temperature you use, it can take anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes for it to heat up. But once it’s ready, it only takes about 30 seconds for it to fill up a balloon full of potent vapor.
Weight & Size
The Digital Volcano weighs in at 4 pounds (1.8 kilograms) and measures in at 8.9 x 7 inches. Subsequently, it’s certainly not the smallest vaporizer we’ve seen, but if it’s a desktop vaporizer that you’re after – size really isn’t much, if any, of an issue. In this case, it’s really no issue at all. It fits great on just about any flat surface, be it a coffee table, desk, or what have you. For those of you that are looking to share it with friends, you may not want to take it out of your home or office, but if you want to, you definitely can. In fact, there’s even a carrying bag called the VapeCase Volcano that’s designed to carry not only the vaporizer itself, but all of its accessories as well.
We’re pleased to report that after years of extensive testing, we have yet to run into a single issue with the Digit. But while it doesn’t have any actual problems, there are a couple of areas where it could see some improvement, particularly in the cost and cleaning department. When it comes to the cost, it’s just too high for some users. While it’s well worth the money, it’s simply too expensive for some. And when it comes to cleaning, it’s not as if we’re really complaining because we’ve seen far worse scenarios with other vaporizers, but we can’t help but note that it’d be that much better if there was less to clean – or no cleaning at all for that matter. But if you can get passed these two issues, the high cost and its need to be cleaned, it truly is an amazing vape without fault.
Cleaning & Maintenance
Given all that Digit entails, it probably comes as no surprise to find that when it comes to maintaining the device, it’s actually pretty straight forward and simple. The amount of effort that goes into cleaning and maintaining it is minimal – especially in comparison to portable vapes, particularly Pax 1. In order to keep your Digital Volcano working good as new, simply follow the instructions below as we outline how to clean the Volcano Vaporizer from start to finish.
- Unplug the device – this is an important step so make sure you always unplug it before you clean it, as doing otherwise is a potential safety concern.
- Wipe the outside with a damp cloth, preferably something soft that won’t leave behind any abrasions. We like to use a little bit of soap and water, which we gently dip the cloth into before wiping down the outside of the vaporizer. But if it’s not particularly dirty, we’ll just leave it as is and at most, just wipe it down real quick with a dry cloth.
- Check the air filter located on the bottom of the unit. If it looks like it needs to be replaced, go ahead and swap it out for a fresh one. Twisting the air filter cap in the counter-clockwise direction will allow you to remove the cap, giving you access to the air filter sponge. While it does come with extra filters, you will eventually run out. As a result, you may opt to acquire some extras ahead of time, which can be acquired from various vape supply stores as well as direct from the manufacturer, Storz & Bickel. We suggest checking the air filter about once a month and replacing it only when necessary.
- Clean the filling chamber by first disassembling it and then cleaning each individual part separately. In order to take it apart, you’ll want to first remove the chamber’s insert. Next, you’ll want to unscrew the nut you see at the bottom. From there, the other components will basically just come right off. Push the screen out, pull the bottom ring, and then unscrew the chamber’s cylinder. Once disassembled, simply submerse them briefly in an isopropyl alcohol solution and/or clean them with a brush or q-tip before depending upon how dirty they are before rinsing them in warm water to remove any leftover residue. Do not soak any of these components in alcohol for any extended period of time as doing so can cause damage to the materials that compose them. Be sure to replace any components that appear worn or otherwise damaged as some of the pieces will simply wear out over time.
- Clean the valve and mouthpiece. This step is only necessary for those who use the Volcano’s Solid Valve Starter Set as the Easy Valve Starter Set is designed to be replaced, as opposed to maintained. In order to clean these two components, you will first need to disassemble them. In order to take the mouthpiece apart, simply pull the part that presses up against your lips from the cylinder it rests in and then remove the cylinder itself from the housing by sliding it out. To take apart the valve, remove the balloon, remove the slip ring, and then remove the balloon ring. Next, take the valve cylinder and push it up until the valve cap can be unscrewed. As a tip, you may want to use warm water to loosen things up, which we suggest doing if it seems to be giving you some trouble. Next, remove all of the small components found within the valve itself, being careful to note the order in which you removed them so that you can easily reassemble it. Use a brush or similar to clean all of the parts before rinsing them in warm water. Once everything appears clean, allow time to dry before reassembling.
Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your Volcano. Use what works, ignore what doesn’t. Because after all, it’s all about what works for you.
- Use the Easy Valve system if you know you’re lazy because it’s a lot easier to keep up with the cleaning and maintenance when you don’t have to clean all of the extra components that come with the Solid Valve Set.
- Find the vaporizing temperature that works best for you and remember what it is. In some cases, you might find a range more suitable, especially if you tend to vape different types of blends. As a starting point, you may want to set the temperature to right around 410 degrees Fahrenheit (210°C) and work your way up and down to find the temperature that works best for you. And for reference, the Digit does work well with lower vaping temperatures where quite a few other vaporizers do not, so don’t be afraid to drop the temp a bit because you might be pleasantly surprised by what you find.
- For vaping concentrated blend types such as extracts and the like, be they liquid or something else, you’ll likely want to take advantage of the Volcano’s “Liquid Pad.” With it, you can vape just about anything.
- Aromatherapy what you’re after? Leave the bag off and let the vapor spill into the room.
- Save your leftovers! Vape trash can be transformed into delightful confections ranging from cookies and brownies to just about anything else you can think of. So remember, your vaped material isn’t just leftover trash like you might think, it’s actually “black gold” (more like brown) as one of our friends likes to refer to it, just so long as you don’t mind spending a bit of time in the kitchen to extract what’s left from it.
- Grinding your blend before you drop in the filling chamber allows for the hot air to pass more freely through the blend, resulting in a more even vaporization of what you put in there. You may want to experiment with how fine you grind it to find what works best for you. Need a grinder? Check out our grinder reviews.
- Stir your blend, especially if you pack a lot into the filling chamber. This way, you can rest assured that it’s vaping evenly and that you’re getting the most out of your blend before you toss it in your “vape trash” jar to be repurposed later when you make some tasty infused treats.
- Make sure you keep up with the maintenance. A little cleaning goes a long way. See our cleaning tutorial above for a step-by-step breakdown on how to clean it. If you keep it clean, it’ll treat you well.
- If you really want to kick back and relax while you casually puff on some tasty vapor, consider making some bigger balloons – an option available to those who use the Solid Valve as it allows for you, the user, to choose the length of your bags. While we usually keep it within reason, it’s not unheard of to see us with a ridiculously long/big bag, puffing away at our leisure.
Easy Valve VS Solid Valve
For anyone who still doesn’t know the difference, allow us to explain. The Easy Valve Set is the easier system to use. You don’t have to worry about cutting the bags to length or attaching them, just use them and throw them away when you’re done. For reference, you can get a lot more than a single use out of each bag so don’t be too quick to toss them when you’re done because you can usually squeeze quite a bit of life out of them. Then there’s the Solid Valve Set, which is a reusable system that, while requiring some additional cleaning to maintain, is much more efficient in terms of money than its Solid Valve counterpart. So if you’re looking for the most economical, it’s the Solid Valve all the way. Another added benefit to using the Solid Valve over the Easy Valve is its ability to use balloons of custom lengths/sizes. That’s right, you can literally choose just how long you want the bags to be and subsequently, control the volume of each individual bag. This allows you to make small bags or ridiculously big ones and everything in between – great for social scenarios in which you’re trying to pass a bag around between more than a couple people.
Which one is right for you? Well, if you’re lazy and not terribly concerned with the cost, you’re best bet is probably the Easy Valve system. But if you don’t mind a bit of extra cleaning and want the added benefit of being able to customize your bag lengths, then the Solid Valve is probably the better option for you. Plus, it’s cheaper in the long run because buying Easy Valve replacement kits isn’t exactly cheap.
Note: While Storz and Bickel still offers the older two styles mentioned above, it now offers a new style: the new Easy Valve system which basically combines the best of both worlds. It’s easy to use and it has replaceable balloons. Once all of your balloons have been used up, you can replace them with custom balloons of whatever length you prefer.
When the Volcano first hit the scene, there were hardly any comparable vaporizers, but these days, much has changed and there are now more than a few vapes worthy of comparison – rivals, if you will. As a result, we’ve opted to include some comparisons in this review, which you can see below. Mind you, all of these comparisons are specific to the Digit, not the Classic.
- Volcano Vaporizer VS Extreme Q – After testing both vapes extensively, we’ve concluded that the Volcano is the superior vaporizer. However, the Extreme Q still proves to be a viable option for anyone looking for an inexpensive desktop vaporizer that does it all. While its vapor quality, balloon delivery, and overall build quality aren’t a match for the Volcano, it does offer the whip delivery method in addition to the balloon, a remote control, and a digital temperature control system that’s just about as easy to use as the Volcano’s. And it does all this for a lot less than one might pay for the Volcano. So if it’s quality you’re after, it’s the Volcano all the way. But for those who just can’t afford the Digit’s high price tag, Arizer’s Extreme Q is an excellent alternative.
- Volcano VS Plenty – Given that the Plenty, which too is made by Storz & Bickel, is basically a whip vaporizer that offers no balloon delivery method, this is somewhat of a strange comparison to make. But seeing as there are those who want to know which one is best, we’ll compare them all the same. What really makes the Plenty interesting is how much vapor it produces. It has a very large filling chamber, which allows for a lot of blend to be quickly heated, producing absolutely massive clouds of vapor. But outside of this, the overall quality of the vapor produced by the Volcano is superior. While we could be wrong here, it seems as if the Plenty vape’s plastic mouthpiece distorts the taste a bit. It’s by no means awful, but all the same, it just doesn’t taste quite as pure as the vapor produced by the Volcano. The Volcano also has a digital temperature control system that’s a lot easier to use than the Plenty’s strange–although usable–temperature control system. All things considered, we’d rather use the Volcano any day of the week but because the Plenty produces huge clouds, there are times when we bust it out to impress friends with its almost overwhelming vapor production. So if you’re looking for a clear winner, it’s definitely the Digit.
- Volcano Vaporizer VS Pax – This is hardly a comparison. The Pax Vaporizer–the original, that is–doesn’t produce vapor anywhere near as good as the Volcano – either Volcano for that matter. Not even close. Literally no contest. But beyond that, the Pax is less expensive, much more compact, and totally portable. Still, with all this, its vapor quality is so unimpressive, we just can’t get ourselves to recommend it over the Digit because the Digit is clearly the superior vape, cord and all.
- Herbalizer VS Volcano – This is actually a good comparison. The Herbalizer isn’t a bad vape, it’s a good one. And, like the Volcano vaporizers, it too offers balloon delivery. But is it really better than the Volcano? If you ask us, the answer is no. It’s right up there with it, in the same realm, if you will, but it just can’t seem to beat the long reigning king, the Volcano. So if we had to choose, we’d have to pick the Volcano.
- viVape 2 VS Volcano – Vaporfection did a good job putting together the viVape vaporizer. The latest version, the viVape 2, works well with its whip delivery mode but when it’s switched to bags, well, let’s just say that it’s obvious who the real winner is (the Volcano). The touchscreen, while useful and “cool,” isn’t as easy to use as the Digit’s, with its big buttons and easy to read display. It also seems to have problems at times, as it doesn’t always detect your finger when you press it. It also doesn’t offer the option of turning off the fan, which, given that it also has a whip mode, isn’t ideal. But while it might sound like we’re trashing the viVape, we’re definitely not – it’s actually a pretty good vape. It’s just that in comparison to the Digit, it just doesn’t really seem to make the cut. If we had to choose between the two, we’d go with the Digit every time. It’s just that much better.
Looking for a comparison that you don’t see above? Let us know!
The Digit is comprised of more than a few parts, some of which requiring periodic replacement. Fortunately, its maker thought this far ahead and made available a range of replacement parts as well as accessories. In other words, if you need it – you can buy it. Either direct from the manufacturer or from vape stores like this one here.
The Volcano Vaporizer warranty coverage is solid. It entails 3-years of all-inclusive coverage for your vaporizer. This protects against any defects that come as a result of the manufacturing process. If there are any faults with the product, the manufacturer will resolve them at no cost to you. And for those who have damaged their own vape, Storz & Bickel has you covered as well, however, the cost of the repair is on you. Over the years, we’ve only felt the need to contact their customer service team once and it wasn’t in regards to the Volcano, but the Plenty. Still, our interaction with them was nothing short of pleasant as they worked quickly to resolve our concern and even went as far as to ship us not one, but two replacements for the part that we were having an issue with. With that in mind, their customer service is excellent and we don’t think you should expect anything less when dealing with them. They really are on top of their game.
The Volcano vaporizers, both of them, produce incredible vapor. It tastes pure/delicious and it’s thick, assuming you want it to be. Even at lower temperatures, it manages to do something that a lot of vapes don’t: produce thick, tasty vapor. In comparison to other vapes on the market, there isn’t a single one that can actually give the Volcano vaporizer a run for their money. There are those that come close in terms of vapor quality, but in the end, it’s the Volcano that reigns supreme. To reiterate, the Volcano produces the best vapor of any vaporizer we’ve tested.
Our only real complaint with the Digit is its price tag, which is obviously high in comparison to other vapes, both desktops and portables alike. But with its high price tag comes an incredibly high level of quality that you just can’t find anywhere else. This is quite literally the best desktop vaporizer on the market. The best of the best. The king of desktop vaporizers. If you can afford it, buy it. That’s all there is to it. You just can’t find quality like this anywhere else. If you’re interested in buying this beast of a vape, we strongly suggest buying it from an authorized retailer like this store here.