While the benefits of vaping are under continuous debate with studies falling on both sides of the argument, the benefits to using a desktop vaporizer over a portable vaporizer are clear: the vapor quality, generally speaking, is superior given that the best desktop vaporizers tend to have better vapor production than the best portables – with little exception. But what are the benefits to using a desktop? For starters, desktop vaporizers are capable of providing a completely different experience. Take the Volcano Vaporizer for example, the Volcano does something that no portable has ever done and something that no combustion tool, to our knowledge, has ever done and that’s produce vapor which is conveniently captured in a plastic bag from which you can take puffs at your leisure.
One of the issues that we see with many portable vapes is that the vapor produced is simply too hot. Without enough time for the vapor to cool before it exits the mouthpiece, the quality of vapor is diminished – at least, that’s how we see it. But with desktop units, that’s often not the case. As we see with the whip delivery method employed by many traditional desktop vapes, the vapor has plenty of time to cool before it reaches the user. In the case of the Volcano vaporizers, it really has an abundance of time to cool off because there’s no need to immediately inhale once the bag is full – you can simply wait until you’re ready and for that matter, until the vapor is ready. Although, for reference, you really don’t need to wait so much as a second to hit the Volcano’s bag. Once it’s ready, it’s ready. Simple as that.
Another benefit to vaping with a desktop model is the endless supply of power. Assuming your power doesn’t randomly go out, desktop vapes are capable of doing what you want them to do, produce vapor, for as long as you want them to. No need for messing around with batteries, just plug it in and let it rip.
In the context of social situations in which more than one person is trying to vape at the same time, portables don’t offer much to appease the parties involved as they need to be passed around from one person to the next. A process in which those who aren’t the user find themselves waiting for the vape to reach them. While this may be true for most desktops, there are some exceptions and one of those exceptions is the hookah-like VapirRise, which offers users the ability to vape simultaneously. Thanks to its multi-user adapter, up to four users can partake at the same time. Its multi-user adapter splits things up, sending the vapor down four whips (tubes) at the same time. Tubes that aren’t in use can be shutoff with a quick twist of the valve that associates with them. This way, you don’t have to use all four, but rather, you can use up to four at the same time – or less, whatever you want.
In a general sense, as we noted previously, the vapor production tends to be better when it comes to plugins versus portables. For this reason alone, we can see the obvious benefit to using a desktop vaporizer instead of a portable vaporizer. And when it comes right down to it, the best vapor we’ve ever come across in a vaporizer has been from a desktop. Which desktop? The Volcano series of vaporizers to be exact. Both the Classic and the Digit (digital version) produce incredible vapor that is superior to that of any other vaporizer we’ve tested. So if you’re looking for the best vaporizer that money can buy, it’s a desktop that you’re after. That is, of course, unless it’s a portable that suits you best. In which case, you certainly have some options in front of you. You can take a look at our portable vaporizer reviews if you think a portable might be better suited to your lifestyle. But if after reading this, you feel certain that a desktop vape is more your style, take a look at our desktop vaporizer reviews to find the one that’s right for you. Still not convinced a desktop is the better choice for you? Below are some more reasons why you might be inclined to choose a desktop over a portable:
- Tend to be easier to use. Their controls are often larger and their screens bigger, thus easier to read. Overall, they tend to be more user friendly from what we’ve experienced.
- Are easier to clean. This might not seem like much, but when it comes to cleaning and maintaining vapes, the plugins tend to be a lot easier to clean and maintain than portables. They also, from what we’ve seen, tend to require less upkeep, making them a better choice for those who can hardly be bothered with such things as cleaning.
- Tend to have better temperature controls. Not only are they easier to use, they also seem to be more accurate, at least with some vapes.
- Have wider temperature ranges to choose from. While this isn’t always the case, many desktop units tend to have a much more broad range of vaping temperatures to choose from, which see as a plus.
- Offer more than one delivery method. While this isn’t the case with all desktops by any means, some vapes — like the Extreme Q, viVape 2, VapirRise, and the Herbalizer Vaporizer — offer more than one vapor delivery method. For instance, the Arizer Extreme Q 4.0 offers the traditional whip, which entails a long tube with a mouthpiece on the end used to deliver vapor from the oven to the user, and a system popularized by the Volcano – the balloon delivery method.
Not sure what a vaporizer is? Read this.
If you have any reasons why you think desktops are superior, feel free to leave them in the comments section below. Otherwise, thank you for reading this desktop vaping guide brought to you by none other than VaporizerShark.com!